Tuesday, September 22, 2009

If you die, do you come back to life?

















This image is from the video game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas." In this picture, there are four African American gang members riding in a vehicle. In this game you are the driver and your goal is to take over the town, no strings attached. I believe that video games do make children more violent. An Alabama teenager named Devin Thompson killed three police officers when he was sixteen years old. He said that this video game inspired him to kill. Thompson reportedly told police, "Life is a video game. You've got to die sometime." There is a relationship between killing and this game because as you control the player you can shoot, run over, blow up, and even cut people down with a chainsaw. These activities that you can do in the game is very disturbing. There are a range of weapons that a player can use which range from a machete all the way to a bazooka. Another way that this is a controversial subject is because many children believe that if you die in real life, you can just hit a reset button and come back just like a video game. The scariness in that is, you do not come back.


This topic is very contoversial because children can get their hands on video games that are supposed to be rated for teens above the age of seventeen. As a young child I was getting these gory, violent video games by age ten. I personally am a very violent person and I believe that video games have had an effect on my life and my personality. Whenever I happen to get angry I tend to either break things or throw them or say things that I normally would not say. Even people today say, "I'm so mad I could kill someone." Even the horrific accident of the Columbine shooting is related to video games. Jerald Block, a US psychiatrist, said that the two students would get gratification by playing games like Doom, which is a zombie killing game. One of the shooters even created a level of Doom that was a layout of Columbine high school.


I own, play, and love video games. There are many violent video games sitting on my shelf right next to my xbox. I believe that there should be a way to control what kids play gory video games until a certain age. Parents should take control of what their children play. The parents dont have to take away video games but can atleast have a talk with their children about how a video game is not real. A game called Assassin's Creed takes place during the Crusades. You can go around the town and just assassinate people from behind. The blood that is spilled in that game is ridiculous. I believe that children should not play any game with that much gore. There should be a gore setting within the game so you can either have it on or have it off. I believe that video games are causing kids to become more violent due to the blood and gore.

7 comments:

  1. This makes sense. I can be a violent person too, but it's not from the video games. BUT I do know where you are coming from. My little brother is 8. He plays Call of Duty and Gears of War and can name literally every gun that appears. Even just watching tv, he'll be like, "OH! That's an MP5." I just stare at him like, "really? you're like, 2. shut up." I don't think he should know these things, so I agree with the parents enforcing the game stuff. (sorry that was kind of a long comment ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I personally disagree with your opinion, the way you prepared your argument was phenomenal. It really shows that you did your research on this topic.

    That being said, I'm going to go play Gears of War 2. Those Locusts aren't going to chainsaw themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me add... There are cooking and home improvement shows on television every day. Do you think that the stigma of video games would work in this instance? What if we were to create a house painting and cooking video games? Do you think the consumers would learn and execute these skills? ... Then again there are no moral being broken in cooking and painting. You can sleep at night if you painted a room horribly, but you could never bring a person back to life.
    Right on with the Writing Friend ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. While violent video games are popular, I do agree with Renica about how there are more than just gory games. They ones that are not are the types that should be alright for children with developing minds to have the ability to access. Teenagers our age should be mature enough by now to understand the differences between reality and video games. I'm sure the reason you are, so you say, violent, is because you played these games as a younger child too. So yes, I do agree that there has to be a limit on who can play crude games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dangg! i agree that kids under a certain age shouldnt be watching or playing these kinds of games. i dont understand why people like to see that much blood or even just hearing a woman crying or a man getting shot. this is all too damaging for children who do not know any better
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete