Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My first football game

For decades people have enjoyed the game of American football. The National Football League (NFL) has millions of viewers every sunday. The sport brings a sense of togetherness with a group of guys who work together, months of hard work, blood, sweat, tears, and they leave it all on the field just to produce a win. Hard hits, touchdowns, and great coaching are the ingredients of the game. My first experience of a football game came in 1998 when I was six years old. I played little league football, mini pony.

A loud ringing from my alarm clock awoke me with fright and excitment. I got out of bed and put on my girdle. Next came the black pants that held the knee pads. Finally the jersey, number 72, red with white numbers, a small masterpeice with my last name on the back. It was a cold, foggy, saturday morning as I stepped into my father's truck. The ride to Sykesville's home field was filled with anxiety and suspense. I arrived at the field, the grass seemed greener than I have ever seen it before. I saw my teammates warming up and decided to go join them. I grabbed my shoulder pads, strapped up my helmet, and laced up my cleats. The game started at 8 and we lined up as captains. It was me and 3 others kids lined up against the Sykesville Raiders' captains who were dressed in black and silver. We lost the coin toss and they recieved the ball first. The kickoff to the game was exhilirating even though I was not on the field. Finally I got my chance to get in the game as a runningback. The play was a 21 halback sweep left. It was second and eight on our own 45 yard line. The cadence was called and the pitch came to me going left around the outside, I cut it back to the middle behind my blockers, as the play kept developing I headed to the sideline and ran as fast as my legs could carry me. I broke a tackle and kept heading for the sacred grass laying in the endzone. I finally got the to goaline and spiked the ball as hard as I could into the ground. I scored my first touchdown on my first carry in my first game, it was one of the most fired up I have ever been. I then jogged to the sidelines and was met by my father and he picked me up and then slapped me in the helmet so hard I thought I had a concussion, which was probably true.

There are many things that people remember, their wedding, their first love, their first kiss, their first drink, but I remember my first football game. Since this saturday I have been obsessed with football, I watch every game I can, play it whenever I can, and even go to some professional games.

4 comments:

  1. This seems like such an exciting thing, that you scored your very first opportunity that you ever got to do it! I remember when I used to compete in gymnastics, how exciting it was when I stuck a dismount, and got what I wanted. That rush has to be the same in football. Congrats, it sounds like a great memory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recollection could be renamed " The Makings of a Man". Short and straight to the point it was, I wish it were longer, it was like a taste or crumb of what substance lays within the mind of ... The Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete